The earliest archives of the Union County Courier at the Elk Point-Jefferson Community Library begin in November of 1877, although the paper began March 17, 1870. The Elk Point Leader debuted in 1890. The Leader bought out the Courier in 1913 and became the Leader-Courier. In 1947, the Leader-Courier purchased the Union County Herald.
The Elk Point-Jefferson Educational Foundation hosted a group of donors and volunteers to celebrate an important milestone, according to the Feb. 16, 2017 front page. The group had met its goal – $100,000 in donations. The funds were used to provide scholarships to every EPJ student attending a post-secondary institution.
See full story in this week’s Leader-Courier.